Re: Finalised Glossary Definitions

From: Jean-Jacques Moreau <moreau@crf.canon.fr>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2001 09:52:59 +0100
To: Mark Jones <jones@research.att.com>
CC: frystyk@microsoft.com, skw@hplb.hpl.hp.com, "xml-dist-app@w3.org" <xml-dist-app@w3.org>
Mark Jones wrote:

> My problem, particularly for talking about the processing model, is
> that I need terms for
>
> (1) "the thing that knows enough about the semantics of a block (given
>     its tag) to map it to a thing that implements a very specific
>     piece of behavior"
>
> (2) "the thing that implements a very specific piece of behavior given
>     a block"
>
> I think of (1) as a module, something like a class in programming
> language terms.  I think of (2) as a handler, something like a method
> name.
>
> If we make (1) the whole processor and (2) a handler, then it raises
> the question about how the processor came to know enough about the
> semantics of things (blocks, behavior, etc.) to make such a
> determination. [...]

Mark, I am wondering why (1) would have to know "about the semantics of a block" to do
any sort of dispatching. After all, a Web browser does not know anything about the
semantics of a particular MIME document, and is nevertheless capable of firing up the
appropriate plugin. Why would block dispatching be different?

Jean-Jacques.