Re: Finalised Glossary Definitions

From: Mark Jones <jones@research.att.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2001 09:16:33 -0500 (EST)
To: jones@research.att.com, moreau@crf.canon.fr
Cc: frystyk@microsoft.com, skw@hplb.hpl.hp.com, xml-dist-app@w3.org
	From moreau@crf.canon.fr Tue Mar 20 03:53 EST 2001
	Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2001 09:52:59 +0100
	From: "Jean-Jacques Moreau" <moreau@crf.canon.fr>
	To: Mark Jones <jones@research.att.com>
	Cc: frystyk@microsoft.com, skw@hplb.hpl.hp.com,
	        "xml-dist-app@w3.org" <xml-dist-app@w3.org>
	Subject: Re: Finalised Glossary Definitions

	Mark Jones wrote:

	> My problem, particularly for talking about the processing model, is
	> that I need terms for
	> (1) "the thing that knows enough about the semantics of a block (given
	>     its tag) to map it to a thing that implements a very specific
	>     piece of behavior"
	> (2) "the thing that implements a very specific piece of behavior given
	>     a block"
	> I think of (1) as a module, something like a class in programming
	> language terms.  I think of (2) as a handler, something like a method
	> name.
	> If we make (1) the whole processor and (2) a handler, then it raises
	> the question about how the processor came to know enough about the
	> semantics of things (blocks, behavior, etc.) to make such a
	> determination. [...]

	Mark, I am wondering why (1) would have to know "about the semantics of a block" to do
	any sort of dispatching. After all, a Web browser does not know anything about the
	semantics of a particular MIME document, and is nevertheless capable of firing up the
	appropriate plugin. Why would block dispatching be different?

Some blocks will indeed represent declarative info.  Other blocks,
including RPC blocks, are best seen as encoding some kind of intended
semantics (order a book from Amazon, etc.).  The processor determines
a handler based on the block tag.  My point was just that a processor,
right out of the box, doesn't know anything about such mappings.  It
is only when a specific module is added to the processor, that it gets
parameterized with this mapping.  It is the module that inherently
knows about the mapping.