Re: WG:RPC

first, I m in agreement with the layerd architecture
you propose.

>what's on
>top of the XP layer?  Is it another layer, with a
>bunch of modules, one
>of whichis RPC, and on top of that, there's the
>application?    Or does the application
sit on top of the XP layer?

In the case of RPC, I have to say that the application
sits on top of the RPC module. The app. calls methods
implemented by the RPC module.  The rpc module calls
method implemented by the XP layer. Below is an
examination of an XMLP RPC implementation:

The XP client or app. does the following to call a
remote mehod:
1-Create an XP transport Binding
2-Serialize the message according to the set of RPC
convention for XP and RPC
3-Attach the message to the transport Binding
4- send the message
5-wait for the reply

The XP app. sits on top of the XP listener and uses
the RPC module. The apps interacts with the RPC module
who uses XP objects.

1-The XP binding listener receive the requestand hands
off the request to the rpc module
2- The RPC module deserialize the message using the
set of conventions defined by XP
3- the RPC module unmarshal method names and params
accoeding to xp conventions
4-call the method implemented by the application
5-serialize the reply using the set of conventions
defined by XP

6-return to the XP listener
7- Listener sends reply to the client

comments please?