RE: ADDR: Addressing discussion

From: Lucas Gonze <lucas@worldos.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2001 15:14:22 -0500
To: "XML Protocol Comments" <xml-dist-app@w3.org>
> > Routing could be implicit ( configuration based, perhaps ) or explicit (
> > sender says go to A, then B, then C ) or ??? ( suggestions please )
>
> It may be implied by an associated message, through the transport
> binding; e.g., request/response.

If routing is explicit, addresses may be either absolute or relative.  By absolute I
mean that the address resolves to something which is the same for every node, e.g. a
domain name.  By relative I mean that the address may be relative to the node doing
the forwarding, e.g. asking node A to forward to B means that A should use its own
address space.

One usecase is anonymous addressing.  For a path A<->B<->C, B can gateway messages
between A and C without revealing their identies.

Another usecase is for heterogenous naming schemes.  For a path A<->B<->C, B can
gateway messages between one naming scheme and another.  Examples of heterogenous
naming schemes are multiple DNS roots, virtual addresses (e.g. where C is really a
subdirectory belonging to B, but A doesn't know that), and proprietary namespaces
like Real Names.