Re: Intermediary Discussion

On Wed, Feb 07, 2001 at 08:46:48AM -0800, James Snell wrote:

> > In terms of addressing intermediaries it's my feeling that we need to
> > address ( ahem ) the following cases;
> >
> >       a) absolute addressing ( must go to machine A )
> >       b) by group ( must go to one of machine X, Y or Z )
> >       c) by class ( must go to a machine running Windinux )
>
> I feel consideration also needs to be given to the definition of the Message
> Path itself.  In other words:  Will the message path for an XP message be
> determined solely by the contents of the message (intermediaries identified
> in the block) or will the Message Path have to be predetermined by the
> application service.  If the former, then the message must contain a defined
> message routing path that includes absolute addressing of all processors
> (intermediaries and final destination).  If the latter, then the message
> must contain ID's that the application service can use to identify the
> blocks intended for particular processors.

So, you're saying that using in-message routing is an alternative
form of targetting?

Also, isn't it plausable that an intermediary could be located by a
serivce URI (say, thorugh client configuration, etc.), while the
following intermediary could be located by in-message routing? I
guess I'm wondering why it's necessary to tie block targetting to
message routing.

--
Mark Nottingham, Research Scientist
Akamai Technologies (San Mateo, CA)