[Fwd: Business Case for using SOAP]

From: Marwan Sabbouh <ms@mitre.org>
Date: Tue, 04 Dec 2001 12:54:30 -0500
To: xml-dist-app@w3.org

attached mail follows:

Hi Folks,

I need to put together a business case for using SOAP.  I would like to
collectively come up with a list of advantages to using SOAP.

Advantages:

1. Easy editing and debugging: SOAP messages are XML documents. They can
be created and edited using a simple text editor.  Consequently, they
are easier to read and debug than binary protocols.

2. XML family of tools available: Since a SOAP document is an XML
document you have all the XML tools available for processing the SOAP
document, e.g., XSLT for transforming.

3. Separation of concerns: SOAP is independent of how it is to be
transported.  Thus, SOAP can be transported using HTTP, SMTP, etc.

4. Language/platform independent: SOAP (XML) is language and platform
neutral.  Consequently, it is usable in a variety of environments.

5.  What else?

I read this in a book recently: "Saying that SOAP replaces CORBA or DCOM
is an oversimplification.  SOAP is missing most of the features that
developers expect form a robust distributed object protocol, such as
grabage collection or object pooling."  Question: If SOAP does not
replace CORBA/DCOM/RMI then what is SOAP's role?  /Roger