RE: [Fwd: Business Case for using SOAP]

On your question as to what is SOAP's role -

I may get flamed from the rest of the list but despite the best effort of
Microsoft (http://www.gotdotnet.com/team/XMLwebservices/gxa_overview.aspx)
to me SOAP is simply a mechanism for exposing services.  It merely defines
an interface and a messaging protocol.  How those services are implemented
and how the SOAP layer interacts with that implementation are of no concern
to the user of the service (the client).  I am currently working on a
project where we will be exposing a range of services through SOAP for a B2B
application.  Some of the back end fucntionality is being developed from
scratch but much of it wil be re-using legacy code on OS/390.  That will all
be transparent to the user.  Equally for that reason there is no point at
the web services layer of trying to replicate transaction support or other
non-functional attributes that are already (and more naturally) deployed at
the functional layer.

the system manager.
This message has been scanned for viruses.