RE: SOAP and the Web architecture

From: Scott Cantor <cantor.2@osu.edu>
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2001 23:47:43 -0400
To: "'Paul Prescod'" <paulp@ActiveState.com>, <xml-dist-app@w3.org>
> Arguable. What spec. restricts the complexity of data sent
> through GET?

No spec, merely (nearly) every real world implementation.

> I agree that there are various social
> expectations that URIs be simple and short and also that
> there may be some software that is poorly set up to handle
> long complex ones. But I'm not sure how much of this problem
> is really real and how much is merely expectation. Maybe if
> SOAP pushed the limits a little we could find out what HTTP
> software is really broken and fix it.

Lots. Basically most browsers and servers, if "broken" equals "imposes a
limit on URI length". Each is different, but many break at something
like 1-2k.

Various security efforts (SAML, Shibboleth, others) are hitting this
problem when communicating credentials (ideally in signed XML) between
servers across a redirect. The solutions so far amount to hacks and
switching to POST.

--------
  Scott Cantor               So long, and thanks for all the fish.
  cantor.2@osu.edu                  -- Douglas Adams, 1952-2001
  Office of Info Tech        PGP KeyID   F22E 64BB 7D0D 0907 837E
  The Ohio State Univ        0x779BE2CE  6137 D0BE 1EFA 779B E2CE