RE: Quick Survey - Use SOAP - results

From: Michael Brennan <Michael_Brennan@Allegis.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Oct 2000 11:42:04 -0700
To: xml-dist-app@w3.org
Cc: "'S. Mike Dierken'" <mike@knownow.com>
> From: S. Mike Dierken [mailto:mike@knownow.com]
> [...]
> The results are mixed & I don't think we can draw any real
> conclusions from
> them - there were a lot of duplicate numbers and I was hoping
> for a pure
> ranking.
> Here are the averages anyway:
>
> 2.1 - synchronous request/response generic XML
> 2.8 - synchronous request/response RPC method calls
> 2.2 - asynchronous message to a queue (single consumer)
> 3.4 - asynchronous message to a topic (multiple subscribers)
> 2.6 - other

Well, one thing that can clearly be seen from these numbers is that SOAP has
clearly evolved from its RPC roots to be seen as a viable substrate for more
generalized messaging schemes. In fact, a narrow majority of the respondents
seem more interested in the latter than in RPC.

Considering that SOAP is still widely viewed as simply a way of doing RPC
with XML over HTTP, I think this is pretty significant.