RE: Quick Survey - Use SOAP

From: Michael Brennan <Michael_Brennan@Allegis.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Oct 2000 11:48:46 -0700
To: xml-dist-app@w3.org
Cc: "'Laird Popkin'" <laird@io.com>
> From: Laird Popkin [mailto:laird@io.com]
> [...]
> 2. Other: a means of validating extensions and XML messages
> passed in SOAP
> messages. ICE has several elements that would naturally
> belong in the header
> of a SOAP message, and which should be validatable. And all
> ICE messages are
> XML, validatable by the ICE DTD. While we don't require
> validation, it's a
> requirement that all messages be validatable, at the very
> least for testing
> purposes. I've been told that SOAP can do both of these
> things, but it's not
> clear to me how...

SOAP does not address this and probably never will. However, there are
efforts to establish mechanisms for service description that will address
this and which will be orthogonal to SOAP. If you check out the recent draft
proposal for WSDL (Web Services Description Language) from UDDI, it is an
attempt to address this.