RE: DR 203: rewording?

From: Ray Whitmer <rayw@netscape.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 15:29:56 -0800
To: xml-dist-app@w3.org
> I tend to agree with dropping DR203. Perhaps the intent of this requirement
> was to
> ensure that the RPC convention did not utilize semantics dependent on a
> particular
> language or object system? If so, I think DR 201 covers this sufficiently by
> requiring
> straightforward mappings to languages and object systems.

I disagree that this is covered in 201.  Straitforward in no way implies
interoperable.  Creating a single binding will be trivial if the same
implementer and model supplied the encoder and decoder.  Creating a
second, which has to try to interoperate with the first, may be a bigger
challenge, and a third may be more problem, still.

I can just see, for example, Microsoft arguing with IBM or Netscape over
the way their particular RPC gateway bound to the wire protocol, and who
is right.  Creating a wire protocol that is not designed for
interoperable bindings that can be tested is wrong, IMO.

Ray Whitmer
rayw@netscape.com