RE: Web RPCs Considered Harmful

From: Dick Brooks <dick@8760.com>
Date: Sat, 13 May 2000 15:43:22 -0500
To: "Anders W. Tell" <anderst@toolsmiths.se>
Cc: "Dave Winer" <dave@userland.com>, "Wesley M. Felter" <wesf@cs.utexas.edu>, "Edd Dumbill" <edd@usefulinc.com>, <xml-dist-app@w3.org>
Anders Tell wrote:

>IMHO should formats as JPEG not be part of a RPC because RPC is
interprocess
>invokation of remote functionality.

I can easily imagine an RPC within a medical imaging system such as:

RESULT StoreImage( INTEGER PatientID, DATETIME ImageDateTime, JPEG
BlobOfImageData);

>This begs the question, what should the scope be for an Internet RPC/OO
stanard?

I believe the question is much broader than RPC/OO, I thing the question is:

What is needed to support the various processing modes people are likely to
use in E-Commerce interactions?

Dick Brooks
http://www.8760.com