Re: Web RPCs Considered Harmful

From: Anders W. Tell <anderst@toolsmiths.se>
Date: Sat, 13 May 2000 21:58:30 +0200
To: dick@8760.com
CC: Dave Winer <dave@userland.com>, "Wesley M. Felter" <wesf@cs.utexas.edu>, Edd Dumbill <edd@usefulinc.com>, xml-dist-app@w3.org
Dick Brooks wrote:

> Dave,
> - the spectrum of processing modes people desire
>    (one-way - a.k.a. simplex communications, synchronous request/response -
> a.k.a. RPC, asynchronous messaging)
> - support for multiple transports (HTTP, SMTP, FTP)
> - secure operation
> - an easy to program, simple service interface (API and event notification
> system)
> - scalability
> - reliability
> - manageability
> - privacy, authentication, integrity and non-repudiation
> - support for all types of data representation (XML, X12, JPEG, whatever)

IMHO should formats as JPEG not be part of a RPC because RPC is interprocess
invokation of remote functionality.

> - flexibility (let the implementers choose the degree to which they support
> all of the functions available in the  protocol)

This a daunting task of supporting all above features and frankly most of them
have already been specified/implemented by other standards such OMG Corba and
industry standards such as MS DCOM.

This begs the question, what should the scope be for an Internet RPC/OO stanard?

Should the goal be to support all different messaging/protocol concepts
currently in
use or should the goals be more modest ?

And a comment on performance, XML encoded messages will always be considered
as highly inefficient compared to binary encoded messages.  I have created
(binary ml) for research purposes and have measured up 30x times faster parsing
speed compared to XML parser Expat (C language parser).
This probably means that for realtime/high performance users,  XML based
is not an option.

/  Financial Toolsmiths AB            /
/  Anders W. Tell                     /
/ WWW:  <http://www.toolsmiths.se>    /