Re: XML protocol comparisons

"Eric Prud'hommeaux" <eric@w3.org> writes:

> [<http://www.w3.org/2000/03/29-XML-protocol-matrix>]

> I'll be adding more dimensions and would like feedback on what
> people wish to compare. Also, I'd like to have anchor-rich HTML
> versions of the documents so I can point to specific parts of the
> spec as supporting evidence.

An Aha! I had from the RPC vs. messaging debate on the SOAP list may
be a little less fuzzy for "remote procedure":  The facet (which needs
a label) is whether the protocol (or it's common usage) focuses on
exposing behavior or focuses on transferring information or state.

SOAP draft 1.0, XML-RPC, CORBA, Java RMI (RPCs or remote methods in
general) focus on exposing behavior.

Linda, Linda-derived systems, and traditional HTTP focus on
transferring information.  IIRC, some of the B2B-type systems fall in
this category too.

As an interesting aside, I think the two have very different
Internet/Wide-Area security characteristics (in addition to different
robustness and fragility characteristics others have described).  I'm
tracking down references with more info.

  -- Ken