Re: AGAIN: New draft of Z39.50 Bib-2 Attribute Set now available

> Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2001 12:34:50 +0100
> From: Ashley Sanders <zzaascs@IRWELL.MIMAS.AC.UK>
>
> Just been looking through the above and I hope you can
> clarify a point for me. On page 15 it says:
>
>   To search for a composition composed by Victor Davies
>       Access point [Cross Domain Set] = Name
>       Comparison [Utility Set] = Equals
>       Format/Structure = inverted order name
>       Functional Qualifier = cmp
>       Semantic Qualifier = personal
>       Term = Davies, Victor
>
> The Cross Domain attribute set says of Name: "A person or
> organization associated with the resource." And
> http://lcweb.loc.gov/marc/relators/relators.html says
> that "cmp" means Composer. So to my mind the above set of
> attributes in a search request should also retrieve
> works about Victor Davies the composer. Am I wrong?

I think you are :-)

To quote the attribute architecture document at
http://lcweb.loc.gov/z3950/agency/attrarch/attrarch.html

	Functional Qualifier Attribute Type
	[...]
	The Semantic Qualifier and Functional Qualifer types
	correspond to "type" and "role" respectively.  The Semantic
	Qualifier describes the term itself, while the Functional
	Qualifier describes the relationship of the term to the object
	being searched. For example, consider a search on an author,
	where the author is a person and thus the term is a personal
	name. The Access Point attribute value would be 'name', the
	Semantic Qualifier value would be 'personal name' and the
	Functional Qualifier value would be 'author'.

So the FQ isn't just telling you that the name Victor Davies is that
of a composer, but that it has the _role_ of composer with respect to
the records you're trying to find.

Hope that clears things up.

)_v__/\  "Good luck, everyone" -- Bob the Angry Flower after the WTC
	 disaster.  See http://angryflower.com/septem.gif