Re: Next ZIG - new record type

Dan Brickley wrote:

> Could we use URIs for schemas/dtds instead of having a centralised
> registry?

That's two issue, as I don't see that using URIs to identify schemas and dts (an idea
that I don't dissagree with), necessarily solves the registry problem.

It does if you're talking about using http URIs. But (hopefully you would argree) we
need a better long-term solution.  Some URIs "address"  (e.g. http) and others
"identify". If we want to *identify* dtd/schemas, we would want to use URIs that
"identify" wouldn't we?  For example, we may someday want to convert all of our
existing Z39.50 oids to URIs.  One way that would be very straightforward (and
therefore appealing) would be to cast each oid as "URN:OID:......"  using the oid
syntax of the new OID URN namespace proposal.  But that doesn't solve the registry
problem.

I don't mean to trivialize this, I'm simply trying to make two points: (1) it's
important to distinguish between URIs that "retrieve" and URIs that "identify".   (2)
converting oids to URIs doesn't solve all the problems of OIDs.

--Ray

--
Ray Denenberg
Library of Congress