Re: Next ZIG - new record type

From: Matthew Dovey <matthew.dovey@las.ox.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2001 22:35:39 -0000
To: <rden@loc.gov>, "ZIG" <www-zig@w3.org>

> It does if you're talking about using http URIs. But (hopefully you would
argree) we
> need a better long-term solution.  Some URIs "address"  (e.g. http) and
others
> "identify".

Not sure I agree with this - all URI's "address" either by location (URL's
such as ftp, http) others by name (e.g. URN). All URI's should resolve to
retrieving a document.

Typically a dtd is specified by giving an URI which allows you to retrieve
that dtd (and could be an http as well as a urn:). An XML validating parser
will retrieve the dtd via the specified dtd to validate the structure of the
document.

So really any URI could in theory be used to specify a dtd.

Of course you could specify a URI which resolved to something that isn't a
dtd (or xsd etc.) e.g. a web page but in many ways this would be the same
sort of illegal operation as specifying an undefined OID.

Matthew