Re: Next ZIG - new record type

On Wed, 7 Mar 2001, Ray Denenberg wrote:

> Matthew Dovey wrote:
>
> > A few others have expressed the same view - the record format requested
> > should be XML, and another (unspecificed) method should be used to request a
> > specific DTD (or XSD).
>
> We had a discussion of this on the Bath list in January and concluded (I think)
> that DTDs and schemas (XML schemas, that is)  should be registered as Z39.50
> schemas (thus from a Z39.50 view there is no difference between an xml dtd and
> and an xml schema; they are both Z39.50 schemas).  When transmitting XML, "xml"
> would always be the record syntax (no need for the dtd/schema to be
> protocol-visible on retrieval).  When requesting records to be retrieved in xml
> in a specific dtd/schema, specify  xml as the requested record syntax and
> specify the dtd or schema as a Z39.50 schema.

Could we use URIs for schemas/dtds instead of having a centralised
registry? There are going to be *thousands* of xml-based vocabularies out
there, specified using a variety of schema formalisms. Maintaining a
registry of each of these solely for the z39.50 community's use seems a
huge undertaking.

Dan