Re: Next ZIG - new record type

From: Ray Denenberg <rden@loc.gov>
Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2001 14:33:08 -0500
To: ZIG <www-zig@w3.org>
Matthew Dovey wrote:

> A few others have expressed the same view - the record format requested
> should be XML, and another (unspecificed) method should be used to request a
> specific DTD (or XSD).

We had a discussion of this on the Bath list in January and concluded (I think)
that DTDs and schemas (XML schemas, that is)  should be registered as Z39.50
schemas (thus from a Z39.50 view there is no difference between an xml dtd and
and an xml schema; they are both Z39.50 schemas).  When transmitting XML, "xml"
would always be the record syntax (no need for the dtd/schema to be
protocol-visible on retrieval).  When requesting records to be retrieved in xml
in a specific dtd/schema, specify  xml as the requested record syntax and
specify the dtd or schema as a Z39.50 schema.

> Could eSpec be used for this?

eSpec, or element set names could be defined for specific dtds/schemas.

I had intended to write this up as an implementor agreement or commentary, but
hadn't gotten to it.  I'll do it before the next meeting.

Ray Denenberg
Library of Congress