Re: "Z39.50 Server List" DTD

Robert Waldstein wrote:

> > I wasn't at the meeting either, but that's never stopped any of us from
> > commenting before:-)  How about well-known database(s) that serve xml
> > metadata (RDF?) about known servers, profiles, etc?  IMHO, we need to
> > stop forcing so much into the core protocol and use the transport
> > mechanisms we have in place for higher order purposes.  This is a good
> > example of that.
>
> And we have a well-known database and search for this: EXPLAIN searched
> for "databaseInfo" -- and I believe Denis long ago (at TRW) proposed having
> databases listed that were not at the server.
>   Yes these records come back in BER/ASN.1 -- but making a server accept
> a request for the records in recordSyntax=xml (heh, or GRS) is certainly
> a reasonable concept.

That's the idea.  The EXPLAIN record syntax is, well, not very
appealing.  We now have an alternative record syntax that, by using it,
would kill several birds with one stone.  Human readable, tools exist,
compatible with more mainstream technologies (web et al), etc.  Let's
punt and define an explain DTD.

Btw, I base my opinions on the assumption that Explain is not widely
deployed.  Anyone have an statistics on Explain deployment?

Kevin

--
Kevin Gamiel                     Email: kgamiel@islandedge.com
Island Edge Research, Inc.       http://www.islandedge.com