Re: "Z39.50 Server List" DTD

From: Robert Waldstein <wald@library.ho.lucent.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2000 14:17:03 -0400
To: www-zig@w3.org

> I wasn't at the meeting either, but that's never stopped any of us from
> commenting before:-)  How about well-known database(s) that serve xml
> metadata (RDF?) about known servers, profiles, etc?  IMHO, we need to
> stop forcing so much into the core protocol and use the transport
> mechanisms we have in place for higher order purposes.  This is a good
> example of that.

And we have a well-known database and search for this: EXPLAIN searched
for "databaseInfo" -- and I believe Denis long ago (at TRW) proposed having
databases listed that were not at the server.
  Yes these records come back in BER/ASN.1 -- but making a server accept
a request for the records in recordSyntax=xml (heh, or GRS) is certainly
a reasonable concept.
    bob

--
Robert K. Waldstein                Email: wald@lucent.com
Bell Laboratories, Room 3D-591     Phone: (908) 582-6171