RE: Is recto/verso always odd/even (not page numbering related)

On Fri, September 24, 2010 12:03 pm, Mario Madunic wrote:
> After having read a few older posts and a message from Eric A, I've come
> to this conclusion (and please correct me if I'm wrong). That right/left
> and recto/verso are not the same as odd/even. Odd/even has more to do with
> the page number of the current page than whether it is on the left or
> right page.

Odd/even has to do with the page number.  Or, to move further along the
pedantry axis, with the 'folio', since the printed page number isn't
always the order of the page in the finished document and there are some
conventions for using multiple page numbers for one page (e.g., note 2 of
Fig. 56 in http://www.w3.org/TR/jlreq/#en-subheading1_6_3)

Right/left and recto/verso are not the same as odd/even.  Right/left has
to do with the binding edge, which is not well defined in XSL 1.1 but
should be better defined in XSL FO 2.0.  Recto and verso mean the
right-hand and left-hand pages, respectively, except when they don't.
There's the Japanese usage I mentioned earlier, plus I checked a bunch of
typography books, and of the five that had a glossary with 'recto' in it,
all five said it was the right-hand page, and only one said it could also
mean the front of the paper.

I hope that hasn't muddied the waters even more.

Regards,

Tony Graham                         Tony.Graham@MenteithConsulting.com
Director                                  W3C XSL FO SG Invited Expert
Menteith Consulting Ltd                               XML Guild member
XML, XSL and XSLT consulting, programming and training
Registered in Ireland - No. 428599   http://www.menteithconsulting.com
xmlroff XSL Formatter                               http://xmlroff.org
xslide Emacs mode                  http://www.menteith.com/wiki/xslide
Unicode: A Primer                               urn:isbn:0-7645-4625-2