Re: Is recto/verso always odd/even (not page numbering related)

On 24 September 2010 13:10, Tony Graham
<Tony.Graham@menteithconsulting.com> wrote:

> Right/left and recto/verso are not the same as odd/even.  Right/left has
> to do with the binding edge, which is not well defined in XSL 1.1 but
> should be better defined in XSL FO 2.0.

I thought that the binding edge terms were 'inside' and 'outside' Tony?

  Recto and verso mean the
> right-hand and left-hand pages, respectively, except when they don't.

Being a bit picky, isn't recto ('right/correct') the right hand side simply
because it's the 'front' of the paper, and verso is the 'back' of the page
which is only the left hand page when put into book form? I think thats
what I was told eons ago.

> There's the Japanese usage I mentioned earlier, plus I checked a bunch of
> typography books, and of the five that had a glossary with 'recto' in it,
> all five said it was the right-hand page, and only one said it could also
> mean the front of the paper.
>
> I hope that hasn't muddied the waters even more.

Dave, with more mud :-)

--
Dave Pawson
XSLT XSL-FO FAQ.