Re: Schema noise.

On 6 December 2010 14:38, Grosso, Paul <pgrosso@ptc.com> wrote:

>> Two uses for a  schema.
>>
>> 1. When writing an fo tree I only need what is reasonable/implemented.
>
> Given inheritance, it is reasonable to have any property on any
> (non-empty) element.

Lets just differ on that one Paul.
  When I want editor help to write an fo file
I don't want all the inheritance elements presented.

> I know of no XSL FO implementation that does not do inheritance properly,
> and most (if not all) support the 'from-nearest-specified-value()' function.
> Therefore, they all implement having any property on any element.

Which is no help whatsover when writing the structure of an fo file
from scratch.
Hence the two phase schema.
First use: Write the fo file without the noise.
Second: to make use of the noise to add the inheritable properties.

regards

--
Dave Pawson
XSLT XSL-FO FAQ.