Conditionally displaying a horizontal line

From: Al-Dhahir, Haitham <Haitham.Al-Dhahir@gs.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2002 15:46:32 +0100
To: "'www-xsl-fo@w3c.org'" <www-xsl-fo@w3c.org>

Hello,

I have a question regarding conditionally displaying a horizontal line in a
two-page document. I would be surprised if there is a solution, but you
never know!

I have a document which can be either one or two pages long. If it is two
pages long, I want to display some header information at the top of page 2,
then a horizontal line (part of the header), then whatever has spilled over
from page 1.

To do this, I have a separate simple-page-master for page 2, with a
region-before containing the header information and horizontal line which
appear at the top of page 2. This works fine and is a tidy solution.
However, I now have a new requirement to factor in:

If the first thing to spill over from page 1 to page 2 is a horizontal line,
then I don't want to display it, as then there will be two horizontal lines
one after the other. See diagram:

 ------------------------
|      Page 1	|
|		|
|        text	|
|        text	|
|        text	|
|        text	|
 -----------------------
 ------------------------
|      Page 2	|  Page 2 header
|-----------------------	|  This line is part of page 2's header
|-----------------------	|  This line has spilled over from page 1
and is in the xsl-region-body
|		|

To summarize: If both lines are there one after the other at the top of page
2, I don't want to display the line which has spilled over from page 1. Is
there any way of doing this?

Thanks,

Haitham.