Re: XPath2 questions

From: <AndrewWatt2000@aol.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2003 07:52:03 EST
To: peter.schonefeld@bigpond.com, www-xpath-comments@w3.org
peter.schonefeld@bigpond.com writes:

> I have a few questions relating to an implementation of XPath2.0 and hope
> this is
> the correct address for advice.
>
> I'd like to better understand how to address the context item focus over a
> sequence of nodes. For example, given the following input sequence into the
> expression "//child::mynode" :
>
> (
>   <mydocA><mynode></mydocA>,
>   <mdocB><mynode></mydocB>
> )
>
> Will this return (<mynode>,<mynode>), the child nodes of <mydocA> and <
> mydocB>?
>
> Also, in the case of the expression "child::mydocA" operating on the same
> input
> sequence, will this result in a singleton sequence of (<mydocA>)? My
> feeling is
> that it does, however if this is correct, I'm finding it difficult to
> conceptualise the notion of a child axis for a sequence of items.
>
> Finally, is there a test suite available or under development for XPath
> 2.0?
>
> Thanks
> Peter Schonefeld

Hi Peter,

You might find the XSL mailing list,
http://www.mulberrytech.com/xsl/xsl-list/index.html,
a useful place to discuss XPath 2.0 questions.

A (progressively) useful testbed for XPath 2.0 is Michael Kay's Saxon XSLT
processor:
http://saxon.sourceforge.net/
with version 7.x providing prototype implementations of increasing parts of
the XPath 2.0 and XSLT 2.0 specifications. Version 7.4 is current.

Incidentally, the official mailing list for XPath 2.0 comments is now
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-qt-comments/

I am not sure if comments to this list are forwarded automatically or not.

I hope that helps a little.

Andrew Watt