From: Jonathan Robie [mailto:jonathan.robie@softwareag.com]
Sent: Tuesday, January 08, 2002 3:26 PM
To: Vun Kannon, David; 'Kay, Michael'; www-xpath-comments@w3.org
Subject: RE: comments on XPath 2.0

At 12:55 PM 1/7/2002 -0500, Vun Kannon, David wrote:
>After rereading the WD, I see that "element of type $foo" is not correct.
>However, issue 197 uses this kind of syntax, so I may have been misled
>there. I agree that it would be better to have a data model in which types
>and functions were first class objects.
>
>I agree that evaluate() may be more appropriate in the function set of XSLT
>than core XPath, but won't XQuery need it also? Xlink semantics could also
>be a separate function library.

It is certainly useful in queries, but there are difficulties in supporting
it with a static type system.

The question, for me, is whether it belongs to the minimum required to
declare victory. I suspect that it does not.

>Here is a use case for testing facets. Find all the elements whose type
>looks like a US Social Security number (123-45-6789). This is in
distinction
>to any text in the document which happens to look like an SS#. Searching
>over a heterogenous collection of documents, what the schema author called
>it is less important than the 'shape'.

Do you think that belongs to the minimum required to declare victory for
XPath 2.0?

Jonathan
is unauthorized.