Re: comments on XPath 2.0

From: David Carlisle <davidc@nag.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2002 21:36:30 GMT
To: jonathan.robie@softwareag.com
CC: dvunkannon@kpmg.com, Michael.Kay@softwareag.com, www-xpath-comments@w3.org

> The question, for me, is whether it belongs to the minimum required to
> declare victory. I suspect that it does not.

It (evaluate) is one of the most requested (and widely implemented)
extensions in current xpath 1.0 implementations.

If Xpath2 adds useful new functionality in the area of type checking and
schema support but doesn't address many of the main issues raised by
existing xpath1 users (evaluate, higher order functions, regexps, ...)
then I don't think that victory can be declared.

I think it's reasonable that the current set of drafts have concentrated
on the newer features and the merge with Xquery but that's the first
draft it isn't enough to "declare victory".

David