What does 'ignored' mean?

From: Martin Gudgin <marting@develop.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2002 18:38:05 -0000
To: <www-xml-xinclude-comments@w3.org>
In updating my XInclude implementations to support the latest spec I notice
the following phrase in Section 3.1[1]

' The content of the xi:include element may include an xi:fallback element.
Other content is not constrained by this specification and is ignored by the
XInclude processor.'

What does 'ignored' mean in this context? I can think of two possible
interpretations;

1.    XInclude processor drops all content apart from xi:fallback on the
floor

2.    XInclude processor passes all content apart from xi:fallback to higher
level application

Which is correct?

Martin Gudgin