Re: Use of 'link' header in HTTP

From: Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 09 Feb 1999 01:12:04 -0600
To: Larry Masinter <masinter@parc.xerox.com>
CC: www-xml-stylesheet-comments@w3.org, Makoto Murata <murata@fxis.fujixerox.co.jp>, Jim Gettys <jg@w3.org>
Larry Masinter wrote:
> I think we'll have another comment on linking in XML, but there's
> another minor problem:
> http://www.w3.org/TR/PR-xml-stylesheet says:
> # HTTP [RFC2068], section, allows stylesheets to be
> # associated with XML documents by means of the Link header.
> # Any links specified by HTTP Link headers are considered to
> # occur before the links specified by the xml-stylesheet processing
> # instructions. This is the same as in HTML 4.0 (see section 14.6).
> However, the 'link' header in HTTP has been removed from the
> Draft Standard, as it was not widely implemented and its
> semantics were not specified. See
> ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-http-v11-spec-rev-06.txt

Sigh... I thought that by researching it down to the section
number, I could avoid that sort of thing. I guess I goofed.

> as it was not widely implemented and its
> semantics were not specified.

Ah yes... I remember this now. I guess I dropped the ball.

Actually, it's supported in all the server APIs,
and it's semantics are just as well specified
as are the LINK element in HTML.

I guess I should have finished this ID after all:

> I suggest you just remove references to the HTTP 'link' header.

I consider that a critical component of the spec.

> Larry
> --
> http://www.parc.xerox.com/masinter

Dan Connolly