Use of 'link' header in HTTP

From: Larry Masinter <masinter@parc.xerox.com>
Date: Sun, 7 Feb 1999 23:05:13 PST
To: <www-xml-stylesheet-comments@w3.org>
Cc: "Makoto Murata" <murata@fxis.fujixerox.co.jp>, "Jim Gettys" <jg@w3.org>
I think we'll have another comment on linking in XML, but there's
another minor problem:

http://www.w3.org/TR/PR-xml-stylesheet says:

# HTTP [RFC2068], section, allows stylesheets to be
# associated with XML documents by means of the Link header.
# Any links specified by HTTP Link headers are considered to
# occur before the links specified by the xml-stylesheet processing
# instructions. This is the same as in HTML 4.0 (see section 14.6).

However, the 'link' header in HTTP has been removed from the
Draft Standard, as it was not widely implemented and its
semantics were not specified. See

I suggest you just remove references to the HTTP 'link' header.