From: Sandy Gao [mailto:sandygao@ca.ibm.com]
Sent: Wednesday, March 19, 2008 5:11 PM
To: Rod Hughes
Cc: www-xml-schema-comments@w3.org
Subject: Re: Question on <openContent> and <anyAttribute>

Rob,

Search for "defaultAttributes". :-)

It's a valid question whether <openContent> and "defaultAttributes"
should be combined, but the capability is there.

We went further than just allowing default <anyAttribute>, because
there are cases where people need to allow specific attributes
everywhere (e.g. xml: ones).

Thanks,
Sandy Gao
XML Technologies, IBM Canada
Editor, W3C XML Schema WG
Member, W3C SML WG
(1-905) 413-3255 T/L 313-3255

Rod Hughes <rod_hughes@yahoo.com>
Sent by: www-xml-schema-comments-request@w3.org

www-xml-schema-comments@w3.org
cc
Subject
Question on <openContent> and <anyAttribute>

Hello,

The addition of the <openContent> element in XSDL 1.1 is wonderful
and will greatly simplify extending XML Schemas.

However, I was wondering why the <openContent> element doesn't allow
for <anyAttribute> to be specified as well as <any> so that XML
Schemas can be easily extended with new attributes just at they can
now be easily extended with new elements?  It is certainly much more
common for new elements to be added, so I'm definitely thankful to
have <openContent> available at all, but I'm just curious why
<anyAttribute> support wasn't included as well.

Thanks and best regards,
Rod Hughes