Question on <openContent> and <anyAttribute>

From: Rod Hughes <rod_hughes@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 07 Mar 2008 21:16:28 +0000
To: www-xml-schema-comments@w3.org

Hello,

The addition of the <openContent> element in XSDL 1.1 is wonderful
and will greatly simplify extending XML Schemas.

However, I was wondering why the <openContent> element doesn't allow
for <anyAttribute> to be specified as well as <any> so that XML
Schemas can be easily extended with new attributes just at they can
now be easily extended with new elements?  It is certainly much more
common for new elements to be added, so I'm definitely thankful to
have <openContent> available at all, but I'm just curious why
<anyAttribute> support wasn't included as well.

Thanks and best regards,
Rod Hughes