Re: XML schema draft comments: pt.1 3.15.2 editorial - "none" used as plural

Dave Peterson wrote:

> At 12:17 PM -0400 040616, Daniel Barclay wrote:

>> That should say "none...corresponds" ("none" is singular).
>

> Guess it depends how you were taught.

Yeah, there might be some variability there.

 > I was taught "none" was
> plural, and using singular verbs with it always causes me to
> trip while reading.

And, of course, it was the plural verb that tripped me.

 > Saying "none correspond" is the same as
> saying "all do not correspond"--that's the way I was taught.

So I guess it wasn't treated as "not one" ("not one of them
is...")?

Hey, what about "nothing" (no thing), "no one," "nobody" (no
body), "nowhere" (no place), etc.?  Are any of them plural
to you?

And yeah, I might say "none are" sometimes, though I try to
say "none is."  (I do think of "zero" as plural ("zero are
here" from "zero things are here"); perhaps that's why "none"
sometimes seems to be or is plural.)

Daniel