RE: what should I expect for validation of attributes of type QName?

One slight correction. The QName datatype does NOT require there to be a NS
declaration in scope.  To quote from the spec:

	QName represents XML qualified names. The value space
	of QName is the set of tuples {namespace name, local part},
	where namespace name is a uriReference and local part is
	an NCName. The lexical space of QName is the set of strings
	that match the QName production of [Namespaces in XML].

There is no requirement, per se, that there be a namespace decl in scope.

Practically speaking, however (which is probably where henry is coming
from), the only way the processor can now how to map literals from the
lexical space (which contain prefix:localPart) to values in the value space
(which contain {_namespace URI_, local part} pairs is for there to be a
namespace decl for _namepace URI_ that binds prefix to it.

pvb