Re: semantics of whitespace facet

From: Henry S. Thompson <ht@cogsci.ed.ac.uk>
Date: 24 Jan 2001 20:17:01 +0000
To: "K.Kawaguchi" <k-kawa@bigfoot.com>
Cc: www-xml-schema-comments@w3.org
"K.Kawaguchi" <k-kawa@bigfoot.com> writes:

> I read the previous post to this list.
>
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-xml-schema-comments/2000OctDec/0333.html
>
> And this is the follow-up question.
>

> I understand that whiteSpace facet specifies "pre-processing" of lexical
> values, and therefore by no means "constraining facet". Is this correct?
>
> If this is correct, when this pre-processing should be done? Should it
> be done before validating all other facets?

Yes.

> I couldn't find any statement regarding this.

I'm in a hurry, so can't give the detailed reference, but at the top
of chapter 3 (I think) is a discussion of what is meant by 'value'
when used in validation constraints, which says that it always refers
to the [schema normalized value], which in turn is defined as
depending on the value of the whiteSpace facet.

> For example,
>
> <simpleType>
>   <restriction base='string'>
>     <enumeration value='foo'/>
>     <whiteSpace value='colapse' />
>   </restriction>
> </simpleType>
>
> Does this type matches lexical value "  foo  "?

Yes.

> Or
>
> <simpleType>
>   <restriction base='string'>
>     <length value='3' />
>     <whiteSpace value='colapse' />
>   </restriction>
> </simpleType>
>
> Does this type matches lexical value "     x     y      "?

Yes.