Re: clarifying xlink:actuate and xlink:show

From: Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com>
Date: Wed, 07 May 2008 09:45:04 -0400
To: Brett Zamir <brettz9@yahoo.com>
CC: www-xml-linking-comments@w3.org
| I think it might be helpful to be able to specify (in a more concrete
| way than just assigning the value of "other") the pattern used for
| identifying the conditions under which xlink:actuate or xlink:show
| will have a particular value. Perhaps reference could be made to
| conditions indicating that if the element name was such-and-such, a
| certain behavior should occur, if an attribute was present or had a
| particular value, or a child element or sequence of elements were
| present/had certain values, etc. I think having such an option would
| be more robust in allowing behaviors to be determined conditionally
| via a predictable pattern identification mechanism.

I think you might be right, but I can't imagine a set of conditions
would apply universally. I suggest that you use additional attributes
in an application-specific way to encode these behaviors. If they are
widely adopted, then it would be appropriate to consider them in some
more substantial revision of XLink.

                                        Be seeing you,

Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com> | Life does not cease to be funny when
http://nwalsh.com/            | people die anymore than it ceases to be