Re: XPointer

From: Gavin Thomas Nicol <gtn@rbii.com>
Date: Fri, 1 Nov 2002 12:32:37 -0500
To: <www-xml-linking-comments@w3.org>

On Thursday 31 October 2002 12:13 am, Roy T. Fielding wrote:
> Try placing a URI with " in it within an anchor href.  And explain to
> all of the people who parse URI in plain text that they should not
> stop at the first delimiter.

This is a valid point... as I noted when I said "such as the above".

> First-match is unique and well-understood by users.

I would debate that, and note that it is also insufficient for a fairly
substantial number of cases, unless links are to be very coarse. Arguably URI
space should be used rather than fragment identifiers in many cases, but even
so, first-match doesn't cut the mustard if you want to use the matches with
any degree of precision.

> No, what the ID means is media-type specific.  The actual string of text
> in the fragment is the same regardless of media type.

OK. If the interpretation of the ID is media-type specific, surely you'd agree
that the *semantics* rather than the octets, are media-type specific. The
point is mainly that an ID has no meaning unless the media type specifies
one.

FWIW. It feels to me like you are trying to fit XLink/XPointer into your
expectations of what URI's are supposed to be, and finding a mismatch. I
think everyone would appreciate a detailed explanation.