Re: XPointer

From: Michael Dyck <jmdyck@ibiblio.org>
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2002 21:06:13 -0500 (EST)
To: "Roy T. Fielding" <fielding@apache.org>
Cc: Ron Daniel <rdaniel@taxonomystrategies.com>, www-xml-linking-comments@w3.org

"Roy T. Fielding" wrote:

> ...  However, URI and fragment identifiers are not
> media type specific, and in fact do not allow media type
> concerns to be interleaved with identification.

But RFC 2396 says:

   The semantics of a fragment identifier is a property of the data
   resulting from a retrieval action, regardless of the type of URI used
   in the reference.  Therefore, the format and interpretation of
   fragment identifiers is dependent on the media type [RFC2046] of the
   retrieval result.

To me, this indicates that fragment identifiers are media-type-specific,
so I think I must have misunderstood either what you said or what the
RFC said. Could you clarify, please?

-Michael Dyck