Re: XPointer here() function

From: Eve L. Maler <eve.maler@east.sun.com>
Date: Wed, 08 Nov 2000 18:08:42 -0500
To: Matthew Wilson <matthew@mjwilson.demon.co.uk>
Cc: www-xml-linking-comments@w3.org
Hi again Matthew,

At 11:39 AM 10/21/00 +0100, Matthew Wilson wrote:

>>Can anyone give me a simple, concrete example of the here() function in
>>XPointer? I don't think I understand the phrase "the node that directly
>>contains the XPointer being evaluated" in the spec.
>
>I found an example in "XPointers, Chapter 17 of the XML Bible, Updated
>Version"
>   http://www.ibiblio.org/xml/books/bible/updates/17.html
>
>Just to take a quick extract:
>
><BUTTON xlink:type="simple" xlink:href="here()/preceding::SLIDE[1]">
>Previous </BUTTON>
>
>I still have some issues with the definition of here() though. There is no
>guarantee that the XPointer being evaluated is contained within an XML
>node, for example - shouldn't the spec describe this as an error condition?

I believe it already does, when it says in Section 5.4.4 that "This
expression results in a syntax error if the resource in which the
containing XPointer appears is not XML."  Do you agree?

         Eve
--
Eve Maler                                          +1 781 442 3190
Sun Microsystems XML Technology Center    eve.maler @ east.sun.com