Re: XPointer here() function

From: Matthew Wilson <matthew@mjwilson.demon.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2000 11:39:21 +0100
To: www-xml-linking-comments@w3.org

>Can anyone give me a simple, concrete example of the here() function in
>XPointer? I don't think I understand the phrase "the node that directly
>contains the XPointer being evaluated" in the spec.

I found an example in "XPointers, Chapter 17 of the XML Bible, Updated Version"
   http://www.ibiblio.org/xml/books/bible/updates/17.html

Just to take a quick extract:

<BUTTON xlink:type="simple" xlink:href="here()/preceding::SLIDE[1]">
Previous </BUTTON>

I still have some issues with the definition of here() though. There is no
guarantee that the XPointer being evaluated is contained within an XML
node, for example - shouldn't the spec describe this as an error condition?

Matthew Wilson