Re: SOAP services as database query interfaces / SOAP design patterns?

From: Hugo Haas <hugo@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2002 14:26:36 -0500
To: Max Froumentin <mf@w3.org>
Cc: Dan Brickley <danbri@w3.org>, Mark Baker <distobj@acm.org>, www-ws@w3.org

* Max Froumentin <mf@w3.org> [2002-11-26 12:21+0100]
> I wrote:
>
> > But of course, no PIs in SOAP, and no lower-level mechanism to associate
> > stylesheets with documents. So take this as a thought experiment.
>
> before actually checking the spec.
>
> "A SOAP message SHOULD NOT contain processing instruction information
> items. A SOAP receiver MUST ignore processing instruction information
> items in SOAP messages that it receives."
>
> I guess that we can consider a browser to not be a receiver ("A SOAP
> node that accepts a SOAP message"), since it is not a SOAP node, as it
> does not "perform processing according to the SOAP processing model".
>
> Are we safe?

I feel uncomfortable with already trying to work around some spec
wording for a technology that hasn't made it to Recommendation yet.

I don't remember the whole debate about PIs in SOAP, but it seems that
there is motivation for using them.

Maybe the spec should be changed to:

  A SOAP message MAY contain processing instruction information items.
  A SOAP processor MUST ignore processing instruction information
  items in SOAP messages that it receives.

i.e. a PI must not influence the processing of a message, but may be
present for some other reason, e.g. for presentation purposes for a
browser to use.

The last call period for SOAP 1.2 is over, but if a good case is made
that there may be interoperability issues due to the interpretation of
a part of the spec, it is worth raising the issue IMO.

Regards,

Hugo

--
Hugo Haas - W3C