From: Arthur Ryman [mailto:ryman@ca.ibm.com]
Sent: Friday, February 23, 2007 4:21 AM
To: Jonathan Marsh
Cc: 'John Kaputin (gmail)'; 'www-ws-desc'
Subject: Re: Renumbering assertions

Jonathan,

I'll do the renumbering. I want to preserve the old numbers too so we can
provide mapping help for implementors and the test suite. I'll do this on
the weekend.

The 7-digit numbering scheme was introduced to minimize conflicts when we
had the team currently working on many sections of the spec. I'll cut it
back down to 4 digits which should be plenty. I'll reserve the first digit
to indicate the spec Part (1 or 2). That leaves 999 slots in each spec.

I'll also clean up any outstanding ed actions this weekend, My new projects
are preventing me from attending calls lately but I am highly motivated to
finish the ed work on the spec and move it to PR. What is our schedule?

Arthur Ryman,
IBM Software Group, Rational Division

phone: +1-905-413-3077, TL 969-3077
assistant: +1-905-413-2411, TL 969-2411
fax: +1-905-413-4920, TL 969-4920
mobile: +1-416-939-5063, text: 4169395063@fido.ca

"Jonathan Marsh" <jonathan@wso2.com>

02/22/2007 07:50 PM

Arthur Ryman/Toronto/IBM@IBMCA, "'John Kaputin \(gmail\)'"
<jakaputin@gmail.com>

cc

"'www-ws-desc'" <www-ws-desc@w3.org>

Subject

Renumbering assertions

Arthur,

Today in the WG call we discussed whether we should renumber the assertions
as we had planned to do.  Some assertions use a 4-digit number and others
use a 7-digit number which includes a locator code.  Presumably they should
all move toward the 7 digit code (though beyond indicating which part of the
spec the assertion is found in the extra digits don't prove that useful -
one can take the assertion number and use it as a fragment identifier
against the spec to locate the corresponding text.)

We however weren't able to solicit a volunteer to do this work, which is
fairly substantial when one considers that any assertion number change needs
to simultaneously be changed throughout the test suite metadata.  I even
reluctantly volunteered if the WG expressed a strong desire to normalize
these identifiers.  It didn't.

John did offer to try to fit in some work along this line, but first perhaps
it would be good to see how motivated you are to have consistent assertion
identifiers.  Are you motivated enough to do some significant editorial
work?

Jonathan Marsh -  <http://www.wso2.com/> http://www.wso2.com -
<http://auburnmarshes.spaces.live.com/> http://auburnmarshes.spaces.live.com