W3C

WSD WG Telecon

6 Jul 2006

Agenda

See also: IRC log

Attendees

Present
Allen Brookes, Rogue Wave Software
Roberto Chinnici, Sun Microsystems
Glen Daniels, Sonic Software
Paul Downey, British Telecommunications
Youenn Fablet, Canon
Anish Karmarkar, Oracle
Jacek Kopecky, DERI Innsbruck at the Leopold-Franzens-Universitšt Innsbruck, Austria
Philippe Le Hegaret, W3C
Bozhong Lin, IONA Technologies
Jonathan Marsh, Co-chair/Microsoft
Tony Rogers, Co-chair/Computer Associates
Arthur Ryman, IBM
Peter Zehler, Xerox
Regrets
Amelia Lewis, TIBCO
Jean-Jacques Moreau, Canon
Vivek Pandey, Sun Microsystems
Asir Vedamuthu, Microsoft
Chair
Jonathan
Scribe
Arthur

Contents


Interop work in progress

<scribe> ACTION: Lawrence - violate operation style assertions [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2006/07/06-ws-desc-minutes.html#action01]

<scribe> ACTION: Youenn - define documents for stub generation [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2006/07/06-ws-desc-minutes.html#action02]

<scribe> ACTION: Jonathan - create validation-report stylesheet [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2006/07/06-ws-desc-minutes.html#action03]

<scribe> ACTION: John - resolve Woden component model interchange [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2006/07/06-ws-desc-minutes.html#action04]

<scribe> ACTION: Arthur - add xpaths for soap and http to document coverage report [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2006/07/06-ws-desc-minutes.html#action05]

<scribe> ACTION: Philippe - violate http binding assertions [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2006/07/06-ws-desc-minutes.html#action06]

<scribe> ACTION: Chathura - will do interop tests with Youenn and Lawrence [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2006/07/06-ws-desc-minutes.html#action07]

<scribe> scribe: Arthur

Issue CR052: Serializing only part of the body with HTTP binding

Date: July 6, 2006

action item review

Interop
?         2006-06-01: [interop] Jonathan to add sorting of soap modules,
                      http/soap headers.
?         2006-06-01: [interop] John to file issue whether {rpc
                      signature} should be OPTIONAL (4.1.1).
?         2006-06-08: [interop] Arthur to create a testcase for 
                      an unknown extension wsdl:required=true.
?         2006-06-08: [interop] Arthur to create a testcase for 
                      an unknown extension wsdl:required=false.
?         2006-06-08: [interop] Arthur to write test cases for messages 
                      and message exchanges for a simple WSDL (eg: an 
                      echo web service).
?         2006-06-15: [interop] Jonathan to build a new XSLT to 
                      construct the validation reports. 

WG
?         2005-07-21: Pauld to write a proposal for a working group 
                      report for requirements for schema evolution 
                      following closure of LC124 
?         2006-03-30: Marsh to make XSLT improvements for RDF
                      publication. 
RETIRED   2006-04-20: Glen to flesh out a model for runtime test
                      scenarios.
?         2006-06-08: Gil to write a response to the raiser of CR47.
?         2006-06-15: Jonathan to file the issue rpc signature issue. 
?         2006-06-15: Arthur to update CR022 proposal. 
?         2006-06-15: Arthur to propose part 1 text about REQUIRED 
                      extensions.
DONE [.3] 2006-06-29: Charlton to update his proposal for CR044 based on

                      the language correction suggested by Jacek per 
 
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2006Jun/0026.html.
?         2006-06-29: Jacek to draft a response to Eric re: CR052 
                      explaining that this represents a new use case, 
                      and that we will not be able to address this as 
                      such in the spec, but that it can be addressed as 
                      an additional extension...
?         2006-06-29: Philippe to write up recommended text to clarify 
                      the issue in CR53.
?         2006-06-29: Jacek to write a response to Eric correcting his
                      interpretation of the text as described in CR054.

administrivia

jonathan: there will be a telecon next two weeks to clear up open issues
... assume august holiday from telecons - but still hold implementor telecons
... maybe no telecon July 27 due to potential absence of Jonathan and Tony

<plh> Arthur: we have indeed shown interop. Canon and Apache implementation are talking to each other. We have recorded message logs.

<plh> ... we now have reports that show all the covered assertions.

<plh> http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/ws/desc/test-suite/assertions-report.html?content-type=text/html;%20charset=utf-8

<plh> Arthur: lots of red in the assertion report.

<plh> ... please contribute that violate the assertions.

<plh> ... Jonathan will check the results produced by the implementations with the expected ones.

<plh> ... we only have two MEPs implemented. Anybody contemplating doing the others?

<plh> ... for the remainder of the events, we'll keep focusing on test coverage

arthur: red = shame

<plh> Tony: why 2 or 3 is yellow?

<plh> Jonathan: we could put green if >= 1. no yellow

glen: any cases for extensions and features/property?

arthur: one for Feature, 0 for Property, all the Part 2 extensions

glen: will contribute some later

<scribe> ACTION: Glen to contribute some extension test cases [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2006/07/06-ws-desc-minutes.html#action08]

CR050

<GlenD> +1, sounds right

<GlenD> oh right, this discussion

<GlenD> +1 add to Interchange Format, -1 add to Component Model, I think

jonathan: recall that we resolved CR050 with no action since wsdlx is a "characteristic" of the implementation so the wsdlx:safety property gets added to all Operation components even if there is no markup in the documents

<Roberto> I agree with Glen

<JacekK> me too agrees with Glen

jonathan: there was a proposal to add {extensions} to Description component

<Jonathan> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2006Jun/0034.html

Jonathan: make this CR069

glen: agree to putting {extensions} in the component model interchange format put not in the component model

jacek: nice to have {extensions} in component model since it is api guidance

roberto: agree with glen re interchange format

<GlenD> +q

tony: {extension} useful for caching documents too

roberto: {extensions} not an intrinsic part of the component model

glen: +1 to roberto, BUT make be useful if a spec used that property, i.e. it needed to refer to that extension

arthur: need to know what extensions are in effect in order to decide validity of the component model

jonathan: a spec and just refer to another spec, doesn't need an explicit property
... the infoset spec started as a library of terms, not a data model

<Zakim> JacekK, you wanted to suggest trying to ask for objections one way or the other and just do what doesn't get objections

jacek: this is a minor issue so let's vote

tony: we need to be able to state component model validity so need to know extensions

jonathan: any objections to the status quo?
... no objections
... any objections to adding it?

glen: yes

roberto: yes

jonathan: RESOLUTION: closed with no action

cr056

arthur: {safety} may not be present if the wsdlx is not "engaged"

<GlenD> Incidentally, I think this issue is fairly clear cut, and the problem is that we don't have a notion of "processor" and "engaged extensions".

<GlenD> Any extension that you choose to have "engaged" in your environment may well add any properties it wants to the component model, regardless of what is or is not present in the actual markup. IMHO, of course.

<GlenD> It's up to the extension writers to do a good job at specifying how and when properties should be added/mutated.

<Zakim> JacekK, you wanted to suggest moving to CR044 discussion, will have to leave in 10 min and to suggest moving to CR044 discussion after this item, will have to leave in 10 min

RESOLUION: close with no action

CR044

<JacekK> my version of CR44 writeup: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2006Jul/0014.html

arthur: by "engaged" I mean supported in the component model

Jonathan: can be close this as editorial or do we need to see final text?

tony: i'd like to see the text

<scribe> ACTION: Roberto to propose text for CR044 and related interface-less binding text [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2006/07/06-ws-desc-minutes.html#action09]

CR067

<Jonathan> http://www.w3.org/2002/ws/desc/5/cr-issues/issues.html#CR067

Arthur: we should split the definition of the properties and their occurance, like XSD particles

Jonathan: I propose we just clarify this in the SOAP binding, i.e. say that the HTTP properties occur when the transport is HTTP

RESOLUTION: Accept Jonathan's proposal

<scribe> ACTION: Arthur to update cm interchange schema to make http cookies optional in the soap extension [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2006/07/06-ws-desc-minutes.html#action10]

CR037

Arthur: the spec only defines a few serializations but doesn't prevent others so I suggest we close this with no action

RESOLUTION: close with no action

CR055

<Jonathan> jacek's proposal: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2006Jun/0032.html

<scribe> ACTION: John to write proposal for CR055 based on discussion and Jacek's email [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2006/07/06-ws-desc-minutes.html#action11]

Summary of Action Items

[NEW] ACTION: Arthur - add xpaths for soap and http to document coverage report [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2006/07/06-ws-desc-minutes.html#action05]
[NEW] ACTION: Arthur to update cm interchange schema to make http cookies optional in the soap extension [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2006/07/06-ws-desc-minutes.html#action10]
[NEW] ACTION: Chathura - will do interop tests with Youenn and Lawrence [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2006/07/06-ws-desc-minutes.html#action07]
[NEW] ACTION: Glen to contribute some extension test cases [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2006/07/06-ws-desc-minutes.html#action08]
[NEW] ACTION: John - resolve Woden component model interchange [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2006/07/06-ws-desc-minutes.html#action04]
[NEW] ACTION: John to write proposal for CR055 based on discussion and Jacek's email [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2006/07/06-ws-desc-minutes.html#action11]
[NEW] ACTION: Jonathan - create validation-report stylesheet [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2006/07/06-ws-desc-minutes.html#action03]
[NEW] ACTION: Lawrence - violate operation style assertions [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2006/07/06-ws-desc-minutes.html#action01]
[NEW] ACTION: Philippe - violate http binding assertions [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2006/07/06-ws-desc-minutes.html#action06]
[NEW] ACTION: Roberto to propose text for CR044 and related interface-less binding text [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2006/07/06-ws-desc-minutes.html#action09]
[NEW] ACTION: Youenn - define documents for stub generation [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2006/07/06-ws-desc-minutes.html#action02]
 
[End of minutes]

Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.127 (CVS log)
$Date: 2006/07/06 16:33:51 $