Assertion Reviews, Test Suite Coverage, and TestMetadata.xml

From: Arthur Ryman <ryman@ca.ibm.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2006 04:45:32 -0500
To: www-ws-desc@w3.org
Cc: woden-dev@ws.apache.org
After everyone completes their assigned review of the spec for assertions
[1]. the next step is to add test cases to the test suite to cover the
assertions. For document or component assertions, this means creating a
schema valid WSDL document that violates the assertion.

I've created an XML format, TestMetatdata.xml,  to capture the information
about each test case. It is based on [2]. For an example of one see [3].
I've created one for each test case. When you create a test case, please
alway create a TestMetadata.xml to describe it (just copy and edit the
Chameleon-1B example).

This metatdata will let us determine how well the assertions are covered.
I'll generate a coverage report that compares the test suite to the spec.
It will also let us check the correctness of Woden which returns the
violated assertion id.

[1]
http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/ws/desc/test-suite/assert-yourself.html#review-assignments
[2] http://www.w3.org/TR/test-metadata/