RE: Action Item 2004-07-01 Solution to 168/R114

From: Jim Webber <Jim.Webber@newcastle.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2004 05:33:44 +0100
To: "WS Description List" <www-ws-desc@w3.org>

Hi Mark:

> Exactly.  Information required to understand the semantics of
> the message is in the WSDL, and not in the message; that's
> the definition of non-self-descriptive.  I'm sure I don't
> need to tell you how interoperability is detrimentally
> affected by a lack of self-description.

The information required to understand the message is NOT in the WSDL
contract. It is set out in some architecture document or specification
somewhere and is encoded into whatever ultimately receives messages.
WSDL does not describe semantics, it describes logistics. If you want
(machine readable) semantics then you need to look elsewhere.

> > I'm not pretending there is no operation.

I'm not pretending either - I am certain of it :-) WSDL presents a view
(a useful view at that) of a hole through which messages can be poked.
"operation" as I said in an earlier message is just a first chop at
refining in what kind of patterns messages can be poked through the
hole.

WSDL doesn't know what happens either side of the hole, it just
describes how the hole is meant to be used.

Jim
--
http://jim.webber.name