RE: Comments on WebArch

From: <paul.downey@bt.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2004 10:37:44 -0000
To: <jmarsh@microsoft.com>, <jean-jacques.moreau@crf.canon.fr>
Cc: <www-ws-desc@w3.org>

Jonathan Marsh wrote:

> There are analogous situations - for instance, I can open an XML
> document, stream it in, successfully process the information I find
> early in the file, and not report that 1Mb down in the file there is a
> well-formedness error.  The document is not well-formed, but a
> particular processor may not be able to detect and report the error.

Funnily enough i hit this very issue only yesterday. I had to process
a set of very large XML documents in which i was only interested in a
single element at the top of the file. The cost of processing the whole
document would have been prohibitive, and anyway i only cared if my
fragment of each document was well formed.

I guess there *are* cases where a defence of Postel's Law is useful :^)

Paul

--
Paul Sumner Downey
Web Services Integration