Re: "Bulk load" get/set

From: Roberto Chinnici <Roberto.Chinnici@Sun.COM>
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2003 11:09:53 -0700
To: Jim Webber <jim.webber@arjuna.com>
Cc: "'Bijan Parsia'" <bparsia@isr.umd.edu>, "'Tom Jordahl'" <tomj@macromedia.com>, www-ws-desc@w3.org

Jim Webber wrote:
> Bijan:
>>I find myself agreeing with Tom (in spite of his liking of
>>:)), but then, I've been easily swayed on this topic. I wonder if the
>>folks who find "operation" too suggestive of objectness find
>>similarly misleading.
> I have always disliked attributes since they do not fit into my "services
> are entities which exchnage messages" view of the world. In fact I like
> attributes farless than I like operation, since at least operation is just a
> label for an exchange of messages, whereas attributes introduce something
> which fundamentally does not fit here.

Hence the proposal to have attributes be simply a pair of operations
which happen to be correlated in a particular way. A special syntactic
form for them would then be justified uniquely on the basis of the
interest in using this construct expressed by various (sub-)communities.
No other properties of "attributes" would be implied by WSDL, although
other specs would evidently be free to build on what WSDL provides.

Roberto Chinnici
Java Web Services
Sun Microsystems, Inc.