RE: "Bulk load" get/set

From: Savas Parastatidis <Savas.Parastatidis@newcastle.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2003 16:15:23 +0100
To: "Tom Jordahl" <tomj@macromedia.com>
Cc: <www-ws-desc@w3.org>

[snip]

> I find myself agreeing with Tom (in spite of his liking of
*Underworld*
> :)), but then, I've been easily swayed on this topic. I wonder if the
> folks who find "operation" too suggestive of objectness find
attributes
> similarly misleading.

Saying that "attributes" are just "suggestive of objectness" is an
understatement :-)

I have expressed my worries in the past that additional semantics are
added to web services that simply don't exist. What does it mean for a
web service to have attributes? A web service only knows about message
exchanges. Whether you call it an "operation" or an "attribute" it's
still a message. So why have both? In object-oriented systems attributes
have meaning, have semantics. What's their meaning in Web Services?

I don't believe in the "Grid requires them" statement. But even if
that's the case, a separate specification could be defined. However, I
am confident that it is possible to build Grid applications using Web
Services without the need for attributes (or any of the other
Grid-specific semantics given to services for that matter).

What's next for WSDL? Private/protected/public keywords? Or, what other
semantics should we add to web services? Ability to garbage collect them
(my favourite), mobility, transience, transactionality, secure,
composable, etc? (Before I am misunderstood... I am not suggesting that
such additional features should not be implemented... well, for some at
least. Instead, as it is the case with the factorised nature of WSA, a
new functionality should be introduced separately without overloading
the semantics of a Web Service).

Best regards,
.savas.