Re: RPC Style Issues (3)

Sanjiva Weerawarana wrote:

>Hi Tom,
>

>>Since the whole RPC thing is a hint, can't we make the hint more useful to
>>the languages (C/C++/Java etc.) that will need to decide if it's a return
>>value or an output parameter?  If your WSDL2XXX doesn't need to know, it
>>

>can
>

>>just ignore the attribute.
>>

>Yes, of course it can. However, customers will expect tooling
>to support the stuff in WSDL. So just ignoring is not an
>option .. of course you know this .. sorry to preach.

This attribute will only be meaningful for tools which support rpc style
and utilize it. Customer will expect tooling of the RPC style and it
will be part of it. This is written within the context of the style and
if you look at the rules I proposed, it is an error to indicate a return
value for an operation which does not use the rpc style. It will be
ignored if the operation is not written with rpc style. Very
straightforward.

>AFAIK WSDL 1.1 didn't have this kind of functionality. There are
>other language supporting features one could add to WSDL - where
>do we draw the line? Lisp has a multi-return concept - do we
>want to allow multiple return values to be indicated?

 WSDL 2.0 is different than WSDL 1.1. I was not aware that our criteria
for proposing things or accepting features was that it should be
supported in WSDL 1.1. If we are reformulating things only within WSDL
1.1, then we should close shop and go home. Perhaps I can sleep longer
on Thursday mornings that way. :-)

>Sanjiva.

--umit

--